Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Footprints
Tonight when I tucked my seven year old son into bed he asked me, "take me to the beach." This may seem like a simple request from a little guy who wanted to go play at the beach but it was much more that that. For the past four months I have noticed my son struggling with anxiety and irritability. More than normal. He also began grinding his teeth at night which may be an indication that he is experiencing some kind of stress or anxiety. He is my sensitive child who is very loving and emotionally driven. He is definitely dramatic. I have been working with him to think positively and have a little perseverance because he often gives up on things if he is not instantly good at the task. This is the complete opposite of my other son who will not give up and is extremely strong willed and determined. I often tell my sensitive child to keep trying, practice makes perfect but it is still a struggle. It can be anything from trying his shoe to riding his bike, he doesn't want to try. Two weeks ago I decided to try a mediation or visualization with him to help him quiet his mind before bed hoping this would decrease his teeth grinding. I began by making sure he was comfortable an then I asked him to close his eyes. I began describing the beach, the warm sand as it tickles our toes, he quietly said," but mom what if there is glass in the sand?" So we moved along the beach with our flip flops until we reached the sand with no glass, and I asked him if he could feel the warm sand and he could, we then ran to the edge of the water and felt the cold wash over our feet, " but mom will the water wash us away?" Assuring him that I would hold his hand we continued on, finally we lay exhausted in the sand feeling the warm sun on our cheeks, he whispers, "but mom we will get sun-burned." I gently remind him that we put on sun screen before we left the house; finally we lay quietly feeling sun as it warms our skin. The next night I asked him if he wanted to go to the beach again and he did but this time I addressed all his concerns so that he could relax and he did. The next night it it was even easier. The thing is tonight he asked me to take him to the beach. He wanted to do the visualization. I hope to keep this going and that it will eventually help him and ease his racing mind so that he can sleep peacefully. The discussion and information provided by Michael in class has been been very helpful. I didn't realize mediation could be done by young children but I have seen that it can and it is helping my son. I appreciate the introduction into different aspects of social work so that we may utilize what speaks to us and incorporate it into our practice, and even into our lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment